Join now - be part of our community!

kdl55w8 LED flashes 9 times - tv will not turn on

SOLVED
Foulds-w
Explorer

kdl55w8 LED flashes 9 times - tv will not turn on

Hi all,

Received my 1st sony product 4 weeks ago - was pleased with the picture and functionality.

Unfortunately it now will not display a picture when turned on, all I get is the front red LED flashing at me 9 times between pauses.

How common is this fault?

What is Sonys response to this problem?

I have to decide whether to go for a refund or take a chance on another TV (going through my retailer as opposed to using Sony customer service). Do not fancy playing russian roulette!

Many thanks

LFW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Foulds-w
welcome to the Sony Users Community Forum..
If the stanby light is flashing red then this indicates that the TV's self diagnosis mode has been activated, I suggest you contact your retailer for an exchange or refund..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Foulds-w
welcome to the Sony Users Community Forum..
If the stanby light is flashing red then this indicates that the TV's self diagnosis mode has been activated, I suggest you contact your retailer for an exchange or refund..
Foulds-w
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, time to decide on refund or an exchange. Really do like the TV, great picture.....

I see you an expert, so pose the following Q's:

What is the common cause that is putting these TVs into self dig mode?

What percentage of TVs sold are experiencing this problem? - Sony will have this data, and it will also help me to decide whether I have a chance of success with a replacement.

The TV has been out for nearly a year, I would be interested to understand if the problem has been 'introduced' recently, i,e a batch issue? ir it has been ongoing>?

If the odds are against me for this model, (question open to all), what would be a good TV option for around the £800 - £1000. I was looking at the Samsung 6700 but I understand they have lip synch issues.

Many thanks

LFW

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Let me see if I can answer these questions for you.

1. I see you an expert, so pose the following Q's:

Just to make it clear, even though some of us are labeled "experts" infact we are not employed by Sony or even affiliated to them in any way.  We are one of you guys, who try to help.  However sometimes we do pick up various resources and knowledge along the way, as well as our contacts within Sony who may also help us.

2. What is the common cause that is putting these TVs into self dig mode?

Unfortunately experts are not given the full resources of Sony in regards to what the LED blinks are.  The number of blinks indicate what type of fault and where to look. But basically, the blink code indicates a fault in the hardware (sometimes software).  Sony Blink Codes change each year, and can be different depending upon the model number of the TV.   For example, as far as im aware, last years W8 TV, didnt have a 9 blink code error. 

3. What percentage of TVs sold are experiencing this problem?

Impossible to answer, simply because we are not privelledged with this information (see Q1 above).  However all manufacturers take into account a small percentage of 'day one' faults, as well as a percentage of failures after 1 week, 1 month, 1 year etc.  Unfortunately its the nature of technology.  Day one faults are normally kept to a minimum due to quality testing before being 'boxed' however alot can happen along the way in transportation from manufacturing plant to your home.

4. The TV has been out for nearly a year, I would be interested to understand if the problem has been 'introduced' recently, i,e a batch issue? ir it has been ongoing>?

Basically the answer to this is above in Q3.  I have heard no reports of mass blinks occuring on this years TVs.  Unfortunately, I believe you have just been unlucky.

5. If the odds are against me for this model, (question open to all), what would be a good TV option for around the £800 - £1000. I was looking at the Samsung 6700 but I understand they have lip synch issues.

In general terms, the two top brands are Sony and Panasonic.

Hope this helps you

Cheers

Foulds-w
Explorer

Many thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome :slight_smile:

Foulds-w
Explorer

To update this story, I opted to give the model 1 more try, I have been sent a replacement set, so far, so good.

LFW

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for the update..