Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot do the factory reset of Sony Xperia Z3 with +/- volume and switch on/off buttons

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
kiselev.vadim

Cannot do the factory reset of Sony Xperia Z3 with +/- volume and switch on/off buttons

Good afternoon. I have forgotten my password on my old Sony Xperia Z3. There is no way to reenter with my Google account for this model. Sony support haven't had a possibility to help me, neither do Google support. Now I am desperately trying to do factory reset with volume and switch on/off buttons following numerous instructions on the Internet. But no combination of buttons can allow me to enter the reboot mode and choose the necessary option. Please advise me with this problem. I am willing to erase my old data, as I copied it before, and I would like to continue using my phone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.ES.title
EYuliyanov

Glad to help you.

Despite is an unofficial method that I found, is great that functioned and helped you.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Piscie
Community Team

Hi @kiselev.vadim, this is really frustrating! I'm afraid the credentials of your Google account are required to factory reset your phone, either via Xperia Companion or the Find My Device website, as both will ask for the Gmail registered on the phone.

I'd recommend recovering your Gmail password: https://www.google.com/accounts/recovery/?hl=en, but it looks like you've already done that.

At this point. I'd say to contact the Sony reps directly or book an online repair, they can do this for you

profile.country.GB.title
kiselev.vadim

Piscie, good afternoon. Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Yes, I have access to my Google account, but this doesn't help me with my problem.

I run Xperia Companion, bit it doesn't see my device, as the latter is blocked. I have tried Find my device website, but it doesn't see my device either, maybe this is because the device was used several years ago. I tried contacting Sony support, but they told me that my guarantee expired. However, they provide me with advice to look through the Internet in order to search the right instruction available. I have found numerous ones which recommend to use +/- and switch on/off buttons. I have tried these combinations but this haven't helped. Maybe I have overlooked something... The most common advice found is to push "-" and add "switch ON" button afterwards. I would appreciate any clues concerning my predicament. 

profile.country.ES.title
EYuliyanov

Hi, you need to perform a factory reset with Xperia Companion.
Xperia devices don't have recovery menu, so the method is with computer.
First of all, charge the phone above 80%, then press volume up and power key until notice three quick vibrations and release the keys, the device is now fully switched off.
Open Xperia Companion, clic on Software Repair, clic at the bottom "my device is cannot be detected or started", clic on next, then select Xperia phone/tablet, accept that you know your Google account access information, next, wait until it prompted you to connect the device (if you are on Windows, maybe it should request you to accept firewall exception). 
Now plug the cable to the computer, press volume down key and plug the usb to the phone, release the key when the screen changes. Complete the process and your phone will be factory restored.

Note that if you use Xperia Companion falls because of driver problem, is because you are on Windows x64 bit computer, you should download the driver from the web, the automatic installed x86 bits driver falls to recognize devices. [Links at the bottom]

Here's the official repair guide video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQ23k11NFc

[LINKS]

- Xperia Companion - Windows 10/11,  macOS (since May is required to use macOS 12.2, but with macOS 10.15 Catalina you still could use it temporarily):

Xperia driver for Windows x64 bit:
Clic to download Sony Mobile Software Update Drivers x64 Setup.msi

profile.country.GB.title
kiselev.vadim

Good afternoon, EYuliyanov.

Thank you very much for your response. I have done everything from your list, but Sony Companion still show "Failure in recovering software".  I have downloaded the version of Sony Companion following your link (I have Windows 10, x64 bits). I also installed the Sony Mobile Software Update Drivers. It offers to choose among Change, Repair, Remove Drivers. But I can choose only Remove button, as the others are unavailable. So the only thing that I have done concerning drivers is Removing. I am not sure that this was correct.

The actions that I performed:
First of all, charge the phone above 80% (done), then press volume up and power key until notice three quick vibrations and release the keys, the device is now fully switched off (done).
Open Xperia Companion, clic on Software Repair, clic at the bottom "my device is cannot be detected or started", clic on next, then select Xperia phone/tablet, accept that you know your Google account access information, next, wait until it prompted you to connect the device - done (if you are on Windows, maybe it should request you to accept firewall exception - done). 
Now plug the cable to the computer, press volume down key and plug the usb to the phone (done), release the key when the screen changes. Complete the process and your phone will be factory restored.

Note that if you use Xperia Companion falls because of driver problem, is because you are on Windows x64 bit computer, you should download the driver from the web, the automatic installed x86 bits driver falls to recognize devices (somehow done).

Maybe you could recommend me something else. Anyway I appreciate your help.

profile.country.ES.title
EYuliyanov

Hi,

That's correct, first you have to remove the installed drivers and then reopen the downloaded drivers to install them.

I forgot to mention that.

After the installation, when you clic on Software Repair, it will function properly =).

profile.country.GB.title
kiselev.vadim

Thank you!

I have reopened the downloaded file after removing installed drivers, and it is the same mistake again... I have restarted my PC after reinstalling the programme and  the drivers... 

profile.country.ES.title
EYuliyanov

can you show a screenshot or write what all it says?

profile.country.GB.title
kiselev.vadim

profile.country.GB.title
kiselev.vadim

The interface of Sony Companion is in the Russian language...