Join now - be part of our community!

wf-1000xm3 'feedback' whine

profile.country.GB.title
BillyHey
Explorer

wf-1000xm3 'feedback' whine

So after fewer than 62 days use my WF-1000XM3s have developed an ear bursting fault.  Tried to use the right earbud to take a phone call, and on inserting it got a really loud high pitched whine in my ear.  Left bud was fine.

Now after a day or so more, and some experimentation it happens after 5 seconds with the right bud.  If I tap the NC mic it goes away, but returns about 10 seconds later.  Doesn't happen with NC set to any ambient mode.

Also if I take the silicone eartip off it happens instantly, on either bud.  John Lewis insisting they're sent back for repair as theyre >30 days old, which doesn't sound right. Waiting to find out if it's a Sony repair or some 3rd party repairer they use.

Not managed to find any reports of similar issues so assume I'm just unlucky.  Never been used outdoors, never been dropped or subjected to moisture so I've no idea why it's started to happen.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @BillyHey  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

That doesn't sound right (no pun intended).

Are you waiting to hear from John Lewis or Sony about this?

profile.country.GB.title
BillyHey
Explorer

Hi @jumpsuit

Thanks for the welcome.  I've tried to push back on JL to replace as I wasn't happy accepting a repair after such a short time of ownership, but they're sticking to their guns.  They've said it will be Sony doing any repair attempt, which I'm happier about.  So I guess I'll just have to send them off and see what happens...

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @BillyHey 

It was certainly worth a try with John Lewis :wink:

Let us know how you get on with the repairs.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
BillyHey
Explorer

Well, after posting them back to my nearest JL store and eventually chasing them up as I'd not heard anything I spoke to a nice bloke called Davey who said he would just replace them as I'd not had them long.  So I've got a nice shiny new set now.  Unfortunately no idea what was wrong with the old ones, but I did notice that these have some sort of foam plug in the ear tube part and the ones I sent back didn't.  So maybe they'd fallen into the earpiece, or fallen out and caused issues.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @BillyHey 

Glad you got the right result :wink:

KurtReply
New

It's the little foam filter inside the earbud. It's either missing or it's not seated correctly. In my case, I was cleaning out ear wax with a paper clip and pushed the foam in. After I fished it out and cleaned it I put it back in the same way as the other earbud. Fixed.

profile.country.GB.title
PortraiDaWizard
Explorer

My first ear set have some sizzle at right part. maybe bass problem.But I think it is not big problem.only sometimes :slight_smile: and I bough 2. ear set. now I using from 1-2 years.They working perfect.Sony deserves respect.

sometimes there are mistakes but overall very good quality products.I definitely recommend the sony WF series.

And Thank you.

Sony WF-1000xm3 [*****]

Maybe the best ear 2019-2020-2021-2022-2023...