Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot activate bluetooth on MEX-BT3800U

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cripes
Visitor

Cannot activate bluetooth on MEX-BT3800U

Hi folks

I initially succeded by, as the manual explains, pressing and holding the BT blutton for 5 seconds, for the bluetooth icon to flash, enabling me to pair my iPhone 3GS (running iOS 3.2).

I had to reinstall the unit (power feed problem on a VW) so reinitialized it and deleted the pairing on my iPhone.

Now, I cannot get the bluetooth icon to show on the car stereo no matter how long or short I hold the button down.

Basically, pressing the BT button does nothing visually, but I can hear a beep. I have tried selecting BT Audio, or BT phone, but the source makes no difference. The iPhone doesn't pick up on any bluetooth signal from the car sterep either (obviously if the MEX's bluetooth icon isn't on).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Cripes

2 REPLIES 2
Drumzman
New

Hi Cripes,

It does sound like you are doing everything you should, the only thing I'd try is a reset of the unit (it mentions in the manual (page 6) that this might be required after changing the battery - which would be the same effect as the power feed problem you described you had).

Anyway, I reckon that's got to be worth a try - the reset button is behind the front panel of the unit.

Hope it works!

Cripes
Visitor

Well, a little more research has indicated that the ignition switch may be responsible for some of the weird behaviour, as it wouldn't reliably power on when the igniytion was on and engine running, but would power on in the accessory position.

I replaced the ignition switch (VW Transporter) and the unit powers up as it should. Prior to replacing the ignition switch the bluetooth features worked intermittently, and despite the new switch and several unit resets (and BT initializing resets) the bluetooth search and pairing didn't happen.

However, half and hour of resetting and powering on and off and the bluetooth button eventually came back to life, and initiated pairing. It seemed to come back after pressing the display button, when I noticed that the bluetooth icon was on - it wasn't visible at all before pressing the display button. maybe bit was unrelated, but once I saw the bluetooth icon after pressing the display button, I was able to initiate a bluetooth search and pair sequence.

Let's hope the unit behaves itself from now on!