Join now - be part of our community!

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

Chroma28
Explorer

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

I have a Sony kd55x8509c android tv, I've had it just over a month now.
The setup is a sky hd box run to a hdmi splitter then one feed goes to the Sony and one to a Samsung tv
When both TVs are turned on the TVs display the same 1080i picture correctly, but if I put the Sony into standby mode the picture will stay ok,but every roughly 15 minutes the screen goes blank only for a split second then returns to normal then after a few seconds it does it again maybe once or twice. It then works ok for another 15 minutes but then the same cycle happens again. If I disconnect the hdmi lead from the Sony then fault does not occur.
If the Samsung tv is off and the Sony to is on the problem does not occur.
Before I got the android TV I had a lg and the Samsung and they works perfectly on the same system.
I can only put it down to the sony TV having activity on the hdmi port whilst in standby,is the same as when the device handshakes, it needs the hdmi routine to completely shut down until the TV is powered back on?

i have 3 hdmi splitters ( I've tried them all) and I can see by the LEDs on them that indeed it is the Sony hdmi port that's doing something whilst the TVs is in standby, the splitter shows the Sony seems to disconnect for a split second then reconnect thus the reason for a re handshake and this causes the Samsung to blank. 

I have rebooted the Sony and made sure it's the latest firmware, but no change. Google say it's a problem for Sony and Sony say to reboot the tv. 

94 REPLIES 94
Fotospecht
Explorer

I have a similar issue with my new 65XE9305. The TV is connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR Receiver 4305.

Every 5 Minutes I'm getting audio dropouts for the playback of other devices that are connected to the AVR.

It helps to remove the HDMI cable from the TV, it also helps to switch on the TV or to remove the TV from the power socket.

I assume that this problem is also related the EDID issue reported in this thread.

Would it help to buy an EDID emulator like this one ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0107Y62LO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_L9.nzbEBBG34J

profile.country.GB.title
matthewtandy
Explorer

I have looked for a long time for someone with this issue and only just come accorss this thread...

I have the exact same fault I have the KD-49X8309C in my kitchen. In there I have a 4 x 2 HDMI Matrix (only 3 inputs currently) The A output goes to the KD-49X8309C and the B output goes into a 2 way splitter, one cable goes to my 1080p old 40" Sony in the Lounge (10m HDMI Cable) the other goes into a HDMI over CAT6 to the bedroom (Samsung 1080p TV)

Same as everyone else if the TV is on other two TVs are fine, if the Kitchen TV is off then the other TVs have the same intermittent broken signal. 

If I remember at night I put the splitter box onto input 2 (not currently in use) then the other TVs are unaffected and I can watch Sky in the bedroom without issues, if I forget then I am soon reminded to pop back downstairs, I know its not a signal strength issue as it handles the PS4 on 1080p over the CAT6 transmitter fine

I did somewhere read that the issue is due to the fact that the KD-49X8309C is 4K and the other TV is 1080p and it has to establish the right HDMI version, however why then is this not an issue when the TV is on

If i find anymore out I will update here

profile.country.GB.title
rayben1
Explorer

Hi, if you go back to my Feburary post about this issue, I have given all of the details of the cure for this it includes the splitter to buy and how to set it up. I have had no further problems since I did this.

profile.country.GB.title
Beefgrits
Explorer

Most have apparently glanced over my response in January with a solution that doesn't involve buying an extra device to keep the HDMI handshake from renegotiating. Main issue is the Android TV is essentially an always on device, but it tries to enter a deep sleep at ~15 minutes that kills the HDMI handshake and apparently wakes itself right back up again. Anyway, there is an obscure setting that prevents the deep sleep, keeping the HDMI board always available, and preventing loss of handshake as if the TV were on, allowing the secondary device to work flawlessly.

Anyway, in Network Settings, enable Remote start. This setting keeps the TV always available so it can monitor IP traffic for an on signal from an IP remote. You may also need to enable IP Control under Network, Home network. It has been several months without issue now, so I didn't remember the exact process, but I believe these are the related settings and should work for all.

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

Thank you, the Enable IP Control trick worked. Just enabling Remote Start was not enough.

Now the TV uses some power usage even when «off», but at least that annoying problem has disappeared.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

And a thank you from me as well. Tried these settings yesterday on my 55X8005C and it appears to work. 

"Enable Remote Start" was enabled, however "IP Control" was not and that took some finding in the menu's.

Two years of battling Sony over this, being told countless times there wasn't a problem, they counldn't guarantee their TV';s would be compatable with other companies equipment even with their own product's and the answer was there all along in the settings.

profile.country.NL.title
fokkek
Explorer

Thank You!!! These settings solved my problem as well!

profile.country.IE.title
Lucabeer
Explorer

Weird... For about a month, these settings seemed to work. Now, between yesterday and today I have encountered the audio dropouts again, even if the Enable IP control and Remote Control are ON! To be precise, I have encountered the dropouts after a few minutes (15-40) from turning the TV off after having watched a movie.

The behaviour of this TV really is unpredictable...

My suspicion: the settings work if the TV has been off for a long time. But if you use the TV, then switch it off, then the settings to avoid the audio dropouts only start to work after a certain time (hours?) because the TV takes time to go into "completely off state".

profile.country.GB.title
Beefgrits
Explorer

Those settings are supposed to keep the tv always on, an unfortunate "solution", but our only real option. There may be something else going on with yours.
profile.country.GB.title
shindigger
Explorer

Well well well.

I have been battling this *******g problem for literally years..

I realised a few weeks ago that it was the tv that was causing the problem. KDL50W755CBU 

Having replaced cables, disabled apps, BOUGHT A NEW RECEIVER :angry_devil: rewired everything a million times. 

I am typing this while the TV downstairs is in picture mute mode as the only ghetto method i could think of to cure the problem without hoiking the cable out of the tv every farts while.

I have an LG Smart TV in the kitchen and a dumb Samsung in the bedroom. Introduce the Sony in the living room to the set up and boom, drop outs agogo.

I thought i had it licked by using a v 1.3 cable from splitter to Sony thus denying the ethernet channel a connection. Worked for an hour or two then bang back it came.

I also was advised to set a static IP address, but not sure i did it right. Didnt work in any event.

Jesus im glad i found this thread and i will apply those new network settings in the morning.

Worryingly i have a NEET 2 way splitter and that didnt fix it.But it may not be the same spec as the one mentioned here. Using a USBNovel 4 way box currently. I also need to make sure any splitter i buy will pass IR commands vi andHDMI injector kit.

I have done little else with my spare time recently than try to fix this problem.

No more Sony ever.

Cheers.