Join now - be part of our community!

Can't remove new message icon from Google Messages app

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
danjamin
Explorer

Can't remove new message icon from Google Messages app

I have a Xperia 1 iii. My problem is with the Google Messages app used for SMS and MMS. When I have any unread messages it will display a number over the app to indicate how many unread messages I have. I don't have any unread messages but there is still a number 1 over the app and I can't get rid of it no matter what I do.

I've already tried clearing the cache and storage on the Messages app and it doesn't work. I've tried restarting my phone and this doesn't work either. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
danjamin
Explorer

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked but I finally managed to figure out a way to resolve it. Find the Google Messages app in the Play Store and tap on uninstall. It won't actually uninstall the app because there isn't a way to get rid of that one. Instead it will uninstall all the updates that app has ever had and that resolved the issue. No more unread message icon! Then tap to install all the updates again and everything is back as it should be.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @danjamin 

My wife had this problem and found the only way to clear it was to open the last message

and type something in the reply box and then delete your response, then reopen the app.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
danjamin
Explorer

Hi @jumpsuit 

Thanks for the advice. I've tried doing what I think you're saying but it hasn't worked sadly. Can you be really specific about what the exact steps are please? Do I type a message and send it to someone and then delete my message, or do I just type it out and then delete the words before sending them?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @danjamin  :slight_smile:

Yes type words in then delete them, close the app and then reopen.

My wife did also click on a few of her most recent messages a few times each

but it was only after 'pretending' to reply that it seemed to work.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @danjamin, have you tried to navigate down through the messages to ensure that there is no unread messages at all? It happened with me once to find out there is one old unread message 

Also try to tap on the top right menu (three dots) then "Mark all as read"

Also check if there is an update for the Google Messaging app in Google Play Store

And try to force stop the app from the settings (Settings-apps-see all apps- navigate to Google messaging app-force stop)

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
danjamin
Explorer

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. Unfortunately none of the suggestions worked but I finally managed to figure out a way to resolve it. Find the Google Messages app in the Play Store and tap on uninstall. It won't actually uninstall the app because there isn't a way to get rid of that one. Instead it will uninstall all the updates that app has ever had and that resolved the issue. No more unread message icon! Then tap to install all the updates again and everything is back as it should be.

profile.country.GE.title
Soso_M4

Hello. I have Sony Xperia 5 III and I have same issue. It had 1 unread message for months (when I did not had any of them) Now it has 4 unread messages. I tried your solution. Uninstalled updates and updated it again, but it still shows 4 unread messages. 

profile.country.GE.title
Soso_M4

Please if you will find other solution, let me know.

profile.country.GB.title
danjamin
Explorer

Sorry to hear my solution doesn't work for you. It's unlikely that I'll find another solution because I don't have that problem anymore. I hope you manage to figure it out. Good luck!

profile.country.GE.title
Soso_M4

Thanks! Best wishes...