Join now - be part of our community!

Can't update LA-EA1 firmware

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
aswan1661
Visitor

Can't update LA-EA1 firmware

I have an LA-EA1 and a NEX-3, normally working with the 18-55 E lens. I want to use my 70-300 SSM G lens with the LA-EA1, but to get autofocus you need the firmware upgrade to version 2. I have downloaded the upgrade and tried to follow the instructions as closely as I can, but the process tells me it's not available and aborts it.

Does this mean that it won't autofocus with the SSM lenses, despite what Sony claims? Or can somebody tell me I'm doing it wrong?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
aswan1661
Visitor

Thanks, Thalamus

I've now realised that there are two versions of the Update software. The one I was complaining about (NEXVG10v2_Update) was actually for a camcorder and is slighty different to the camera version (LA-EA1v2_Update) which works as expected. My fault, although the support page for this product was slightly unclear. Thanks again.

Colin

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi aswan1661,

have you followed the instructions & checked the firmware version that is installed on your camera..:smileyconfused:

1. Select  Menu -->  Setup -->  Version on the camera.
  2. The firmware version is displayed as illustrated below.
  3. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/images/downloads/nex3version04.gif
aswan1661
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus

Yes, I checked version (identical to graphic in your answer) and followed the instructions. Process aborted, as I said.

Aswan1661

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

Note - the upgrade can ony be performed when the battery level is (three marks) or more..

Also did you attach the Mount adaptor and the A-mount lens to the camera before turning on the camera as instructed..:smileyconfused:

If so at what point in the following process does the update abort.?

Step 1: download the firmware upgrader

1. Make sure that you are logged on as a user with administrative rights.
  2. After reading the disclaimer, click the [Download] button below.
  3. The download of the [LA-EA1V2_Update1011a.exe] file (2,03 MB (2.131.344 bytes)) will start.
  4. Save the file to the desktop of your computer (recommended).

Step 2: upgrade the firmware of your Mount adaptor

1. Close all currently running programs on your computer.
  2. Double-click the [LA-EA1V2_Update1011a.exe] file you downloaded to start up the Firmware Updater.

The Firmware Updater window appears.    

3. Attach the Mount adaptor and the A-mount lens to the camera, then turn on the camera.
  4. According to the instruction on the Firmware Updater window, select  Menu -->  Setup -->  USB Connection on the camera, and check if  Mass Storage is selected.
    If another mode than  Mass Storage is selected, please select  Mass Storage .

5. Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
    Note: When the camera is connected to the computer, the LCD screen of the camera turns off.  Please proceed to the next step.
  6. Confirm the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is displayed on the  task tray at the lower right corner of the computer screen.
  7. After confirming the above, click  Next on the  Firmware Updater window. Figure 1 appears on the Firmware Updater  window, and Figure 2 appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
    Note: From now on, never turn off the camera until the firmware upgrade is completed.

Figure 1

Figure 2

8. After confirming the screens on Figures 1 and 2, click  Next . The current version and the version after the upgrade appear on the lower left part of the screen. (Figure 3)
  9. After confirming the screen on Figure 3, click  Next .

If the screen on Figure 4 appears, the upgrade is not required. According to the message, stop the USB connection and click  Finish . Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack and/or the AC adapter,  reinsert the battery or reconnect the AC adapter and turn on the camera.

Figure 3

Figure 4

10. Click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the task tray at the  lower right corner of the computer screen to stop the USB connection, as  instructed on figure 5.
    Note: Please keep the USB cable connected even after stopping the USB connection on the computer with the above operation.

Figure 5

11. Press the center of the control wheel to execute the reset of the camera.                                        

Note: The screen turns off when the soft key is pressed. Please proceed to the next step.

12. After resetting, reconnection of the camera is verified, and the screen on Figure 6 appears.
  13. Click  Run to transfer the upgrade firmware. The progress bar appears while transferring (approximately 10 seconds).
    Note:Never turn off the camera nor disconnect the USB cable while upgrading.

Figure 6

14. When the transfer is completed, the screen on Figure 7 appears. Click  Finish and disconnect the USB cable.                                        

Figure 7

15. The updating procedure will start, and Figure 8 will be displayed.                                        

Figure 8

The progress bar appears while upgrading.          

16. When the upgrade is completed, the screen on Figure 9 appears.                                        

Figure 9

17. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack and/or the AC  adapter, reinsert the battery or reconnect the AC adapter and turn on  the camera.
aswan1661
Visitor

Hi Thalamus

Yes, I have full battery and I att ch the LA-EA1 complete with the SSM 70-300 lens. Here's what happens in the update process as you show above:

I'm OK up to step 7. I click Next. What comes up now is Figure 4 (with the version information greyed out, and the Next box greyed out).

Step 8 tells me that if Figure 4 appears, I should stop the USB connection ('Safely stopping hardware', and click Finish).  But if I do this, then the session is over, and I can only try again from the beginning. The rest of this instruction I have done, but it seems pointless (Turn off the camcorder! Remove the battery pack etc...)

I want to get to figure 5, but I can't see how, if I have terminated the session by clicking Finish as already instructed.

aswan1661
Visitor

It looks as though this discussion has died without solving the problem or answering the question. Thalamus kindly offered the update instructions which I already had. Official Sony support site only directs me to an 'Access denied' URL, and I don't suppose anyone will read this now.

I'll give it a day or two and try posting again.  What is the point of buying Sony products if they don't do what is claimed, andf there is no support?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Aswan1661,

I've not forgotten you I'm trying to find someone who may be able to shed some light on what might be causing the problem..:smileywink:

aswan1661
Visitor

Thanks, Thalamus

I've now realised that there are two versions of the Update software. The one I was complaining about (NEXVG10v2_Update) was actually for a camcorder and is slighty different to the camera version (LA-EA1v2_Update) which works as expected. My fault, although the support page for this product was slightly unclear. Thanks again.

Colin

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for the update, I'm glad you've managed to update the firmware..:smileyhappy:

pirate77
New

Ahoy!

I know this is an old thread, but it might be useful to others who may be experiencing the same or similar issue.

Although I don't use the E-Mount, I do have a Sony LA-EA1 lens adapter and having done a little research, I would suggest looking at your regional Sony website for any new firmware, and in addition, make sure you're using the correct lens adapter, and you can see all the info relating to each model and how they differ on this Sony chart and there's a real handy Sony lens/body compatibility chart here as well.

I hope this may be of use to anyone reading this thread.

Tags (3)