Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

SOLVED
fivesecondmove
Visitor

Xperia Z3 Compact GPS Not Working

I did diagnostics on Z3 compact but gps failed. Followed the instruction but nothing happened. Fix this sony.
125 REPLIES 125
John4one
Explorer

My GPS does not work for months now. Apps wich need GPS do not work also.

I do not have a telecom provider contract with databundel. To use internet for location services. 
I did perform a software reparation with Compagnion after I made a back up.

Still no GPS.
Performing to factory setting will also not work, I presume.
Does somebody has an advise or has help for me?

Steve5john
Visitor

Solved!!!  After reading lots of forums I found a post that helped me. It is a hardware problem. If hou have installed "GPS test" app use it as follows. Put your loading connector into the USB port of your Phone. Go to open sky. Put on the GPS test and push down or up the loading connector. Within 10 seconde I had a fix of 13 satellits. It seems that some springwires make no connection to some metal plate in the neighbourhood of the USB connection. May happen after a (slight)  fall of your Phone. I am curious how long this will work. Lots of succes!

John4one
Explorer

Not solved: Worked only for some moments. I am not willing to tap my phone untill it is broken. So I orderd some tools to open the phone. Then I wil first try the readed solution to tighten the 5 Philips screws to fasten the bracket. Then I will check if this was the solution. If that does not helped I will try what I have read in the ifixit forum, written by jmfreeze2 I quote:

I found that there is a tiny gold spring loaded contact just below the USB connector that I think is a contact involved with the GPS. There is a plastic frame that fits inside the outside frame of the phone. On this internal frame there are sections of what looks like gray conductive tape around the frame. This gold contact and other silver spring contacts make contact with these sections. The CPR guy sprung the silver contacts up slightly, cleaned all contacts and contact points on the conductive tape of the frame with alcohol and reassembled. It is picking up GPS satellites much better now. 

Hopefully I find this GPS contact, since their are no images of, and it will help me.

I keep you informed.

goununo
Visitor

I Just bought a brand new z3 compact and it has the same problem. 😞 

So many people refer that the GPS worked fine before Android's version 5. Só why doesn't Sony fix this? I don't want to return the phone... I love it.

goununo
Visitor

After tumbling down on this problem (I'm still confused as to why is there not a fix, since the probem is software related: GPS worked in these phones before Android 5), I found this sugestion:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2243965

Is has to do with changing the GPS time server. Has anyone tried this fix? Does it work?

sylvainbouju
Visitor

It has been the exact contrary, for me. GPS not working with the Z3C out of the box, and working (not so well, compared with other smartphones...) after an accepted Android upgrade. Currently, Android 6.0.1, on it.

goununo
Visitor

But does it work well enough?

sylvainbouju
Visitor

Not enough for me, compared with my main smartphone. Too much bad satellite reception.

John4one
Explorer

IMPORTANT NEWS. I fixed my GPS function!!! After reading a lot and trying a lot. I followed one post in forum Ifixit. It was convinced it must be a hardware problem. I switched of my Phone. Opened according several instruction videos. Removed 6 tiny screws of the black bracked. Watched carefully everything inside. Did not see what was wrong. So I removed carefully that black bracket which is in between/surrounding the housing and the battery. At the outside of that black bracket (and some points at the downside) there are grey line markings. They are couppled in some way with the GPS function. I cleaned these grey linings with alcohol and also the grey points were they make connection/contact to metal points at the base. Now I re-assembled that black bracket carefully in his place. Did screwed these 6 tiny screws into that black bracket. Give these screw a good fix, but not to much to avoid them breaking. This was also 1 of the advises to tighend these screws better as they could be losend. Before I re-assemble the back, I did power up the Phone and checked outside with the app “GPS test” if I have a satelite fix. And wonder after a few minutes there were my yellow satelites points (14) in the test app. After switching off the phone and cleaning the old glue from the back I did glue the purchased glue pattern to the back and than the backside to the Phone. I hope that my GPS stays working now. I let you know if the GPS disappears again. Lots of suc6 to you all with fixing your GPS function.

Steve5Jhon1

goununo
Visitor

Hi Steve5John1 

Any news concerning your GPS?

Did your fix work?

Thanks