Join now - be part of our community!

ATI Driver

AgentJ
Visitor

ATI Driver

Hi everyone,

why doesn't sony update the ati driver for the graphikcards. the actuall version on the ati site is 8.14 - the one from sony is 6.14 and it is from jannuary 21st. is it difficult for sony to provide a new driver - other manufacturers are able to provide service.

thanks for your answers

Agent J
Ps: Sony VGN-A297XP with mobility radeon 9700(64)

11 REPLIES 11
TheTurk
Visitor

i'm waiting for the same update as you, but while waiting u can always use the omega drivers.

it works for me (mobility X600)

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

I have an earlier model laptop and got tired of waiting for updates. Went straight to the ATI website and used their recommended ones - worked for me no problem.

Of course, you use non-Sony drivers entirely at your own risk.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Omega drivers are really your only alternative. One of our VaioMasters, Seb21, took a bit of a stand for everybodys cause, because he's just that great :smileygrin: and was told by Sony that, in essence, newer programs not functioning properly is not a reason to update graphics card drivers. And save for translation from one language to another, that's is pretty much an exact quote.

If that isn't a reason to update drivers, I would genuinely like to know what is exactly. Presumably their attitude is that graphics card drivers should be updated to fix bugs, and that's all.

If you go to the downloads page on Vaio-Link, at the bottom of the page is a feedback form. Choose an option and click send, and a comments box appears for you to append. That is where you should make your comments known :slight_smile:

*I just checked the VAIO-LINK page to see what the latest version of my 9200 mobility driver is, and there isn't a driver there at all. Is it just me, or did there used to be a graphics card driver available for download from the Link page, even if it was an old one?*

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Yep, it's true TT. The guy on the phone told me that Sony VAIO-support want only add new drivers, if there are problems with there are problems with the VAIO. A game which not runs, because it needs a new driver is not a problem.

If you have problems, then you must send a lot mails to Sony or to e-support.:smileycool:

BTW, use Omega drivers at your own risk.:smileywink:

TheTurk
Visitor

i don't see any danger unless i overclock my X600 with the omega drivers :cool:

kee-lo_

DT,

We've been waiting nearly 3 years for a new ATi driver for the GRX series now!

Crazy

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

DT,

We've been waiting nearly 3 years for a new ATi driver for the GRX series now!

Crazy

that makes me ill:smileycry:

kee-lo_

Yeah well I don't play games, otherwise it would have to be omega!

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yeah, but didn't you used to be able to download even the outdated driver from the Vaio-Link downloads page?