Join now - be part of our community!

Phone cuts out after 30 minutes

TC-MCSP1
Visitor

Phone cuts out after 30 minutes

Hi, 

I have my new phone, Sony Xperia 10, the problem i have is that during a call that i make, the phone cuts out after 30 minutes. This has happened 3 or 4 times now. Can anyone help me solve what to do to stop this happening. I've read on other forums about deleting apps, but what ones do i delete.

Thanks in advance 

40 REPLIES 40
profile.country.GB.title
RoyalsWithCheese
Explorer

Hi Guys, I hope i can help. As a telecoms engineer I get quite a few of these "issues" coming in. First thing to state is it is not a network issue nor is it a Vodafone or any other operator issue. Its down to the chipsets some Android phone manufacturers use. Sometimes this is sorted in future software upgrades, sometimes it isn't.  A work around would be to place the call on hold for a few seconds before it hits the 29 min 50 second cutoff time and the timer will reset.  Handset manufacturers dont see this as a serious issue hence are happy to continue using the cheaper chips for their handsets. Hope this helps  

profile.country.GB.title
Artisan
Explorer

Update. Sony Xperia. Android. Vodafone. My prev solution was to switch to 3G for long calls. Issue connected with WIFI calling. Prev software had a switch to stop this but new version removed that switch and WiFi calling cut of the call at exactly 30 mins. 3G now discontinued in my area but an operating system upgrade has reintroduced the WiFi calling on/off switch. I can now make all calls without issue. The switch is in settings/ Networks/ calls. 

It is possible that this software change might be limited to a Vodafone version of Android so it is possible it may not be the same for all phones . Anyway , after many annoying moments and a lot of wasted time, I am good to go .

profile.country.GB.title
Xeno-man
Explorer

Thanks so much. I have simply got so fed up with it that I simply make sure any call I think may be long takes place on WhatsApp. It's become one of those tech niggles we end up putting up with and not being demanding enough to require they be solved!
profile.country.GB.title
Artisan
Explorer

Yes WhatsApp is a good substitute ,but not so helpful if you are calling your doctor, your bank, your tax office or your office ......!!

profile.country.SE.title
Gissmon333

Orsak: Omgivningstemperaturen är för låg: Långvarig användning vid extremt låga omgivningstemperaturer utlöser telefonens skyddsmekanism för låg temperatur, vilket gör att telefonen stängs av eller startar om sig själv.

profile.country.SE.title
Gissmon333

• Orsak: Omgivnings-temperaturen är för låg: Långvarig användning vid extremt låga omgivnings-temperaturer utlöser telefonens skyddsmekanism för låg temperatur, vilket gör att telefonen stängs av eller startar om sig själv.
profile.country.GB.title
Artisan
Explorer

Nothing to do with temperature of the phone 

profile.country.GB.title
Sunyoser
Explorer

Hmmmmmm... Need a new phone as the dear old K750i won't work for much longer. Looks like it won't be a Sony and I won't be on Vodafone. Unless...

1. Vodafone sort their problem out, and
2. Sony bring out a 2024 version of the K750i. Before the end of 2024, of course.

Happy Easter, all.
profile.country.GB.title
Artisan
Explorer

Yes, it's about time to change. That phone is well obsolete by now.

In fairness it seems to be a Voda problem and not Sony

profile.country.GB.title
Sunyoser
Explorer

It is. I have kept it going for as long as possible because:

a) The camera. Amazing for it's spec. Pics magnify up to A4, havn't needed to try any bigger. The small screen on the phone is perfectly adequate for quality checks especially with the zoom feature, so decisions can be made such as 'take it again' or 'that's good enough', etc. Some of the phone cameras I have tried don't record colour at all well. Some are actually advertised as 0.3 megapixels, I'm sure my very first digital camera was better than that!

b) The encrypted memory. Not seen on any other phone I've tried. If a criminal gets it wrong the K750i shows a plausible selection of passwords, but they are all wrong. So after 3 goes at the ATM the criminal will be out of luck. Others show a message "Wrong Number please try again" which can be repeated ad infinitum if time is available! I think Sony used Hashing (as we used to call it), based on random numbers. Super secure, can't understand why other companies don't use it.

c) Proper buttons. I hate touch screens.

d) The size. Fits in pockets easily. I don't want something the size of a bathroom tile. It would probably snap in half while crossing stiles on country walks.

The main problem now is that G2 is to be switched off in this area soon. There are lots of cheap small phones around, most are virtually useless. Many don't use the same clock for all the apps that need time info. Many don't use the network clock either. So all apps such as calendar, planner, etc, have their own clock, probably derived from an internal crystal, and each has to be set up individually. Pathetic. The K750i was always right.