Join now - be part of our community!

Improvements for future Xperias, some bugs in the Xperia 1 IV

profile.country.GB.title
kzagham

Improvements for future Xperias, some bugs in the Xperia 1 IV

Hiya, 

Just some bugs I observed whilst using the Xperia 1 IV, which can hopefully be ironed out for future releases. Can't wait to upgrade to the Xperia 1 V for getting a better on the go capturing device for the holidays until the launch of the Xperia Pro II, which I hope to use for the next 2 years at least as it seems like it will be a major player and step up! 

1) Phone Freezing. To clarify a bit more - it's mostly the chrome app that freezes and crashes which seems to be an optimisation issue. If I have the app open, even whilst I may not be using it, can cause the phone to freeze (I think it starts to eat into the RAM - as I may have some video content open but not always active, not related to number of tabs, have closed everything and uninstalled and reinstalled only to see same issue pop up after a bit). 

2) Camera App Crashing/ Freezing - this isn't a new issue. Happens with most smartphones, though hopefully is an area of attention for quick fixes when bugs pop up. The most common crashes are after using burst mode or taking consecutive HDR pictures. Similar thing with the Video, when using variable zoom actively to zoom in and out can crash (by actively I don't mean just zooming in but activity that goes above 2 mins - panning, framing, zooming in and out to characterise different individuals). 

3) Random noises - when phone is on mute, can make alarm sounds like a sharp sound when playing a video, music or something even though there should be no audio playing. 

4) Screen Mirroring - Can stop Mirroring and fail to recognise TV. 

5) Streaming Apps - Disney or Netflix may stop playing videos and get funny (blank screen with circle rotating on Netflix and blue screen with white circle on Disney - gets stuck into portrait mode on Disney when it does that). Have to close app and reopen to correct the behaviour.

6) Alarms being missed - though I'm one of those, have multiple alarms so doesn't bother me if it misses 1 or 2 out of 10 odd alarms. 

None of these are deal breakers - minor incoveniences at most. But hopefully can see more active fixes, the alarm/ random sound one has happened to others I know and there isn't a fix yet. Although, whilst I do say that - any other issues that have popped up were quickly fixed in software updates which seems to have seen a massive improvement last generation!

Some other software improvements I feel would be nice are a better dark mode - the dark mode on the original Xperia 1 was amazing! True Black, but this is more grey - at least have a toggle for us true dark mode fans! Also the single handed mode on the original Xperia 1 was again better. More convenient to access rather than what it does now. More widget variety - such as more clock options would be nice! The smoothness whilst using the camera app could also be improved, panning adds a lot of jitter to viewfinder, but on other phones remains smooth which is jarring whilst using. There is stutter in Video Pro when recording, the first few seconds or when the lens switches when using seamless zoom (needs to be a bit more seamless, but we're getting there 😉).

That's about it from me, feel free to add in any thoughts, experiences or suggestions of your own if you are reading this. 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

Regarding "6) Alarms being missed - though I'm one of those, have multiple alarms so doesn't bother me if it misses 1 or 2 out of 10 odd alarms. " I had it this morning and I truly believe (I've seen it before with the I III) this triggers after using headphones, either Bluetooth or wired ones and disconnecting them(!)

A reboot after using headphones (and before going to bed) should solve it though - must of course be fixed by Sony properly since it's a vital function!

profile.country.CZ.title
Damian87

On top of that I would add one thing: Bring a OIS + EIS video stabilization for 4k60 finally. Competition have those since long time already and from unknown reasons Sony is using both stabilizations up tp 4k30 only.