Join now - be part of our community!

A6000 firmware requests

nex567
New

A6000 firmware requests

I have NEX-5N, NEX6, NEX7, and I love them all, each with it's shortcommings. 

I bought A6000, and after 15000 "test shots" I have the following observations / requests for Firmware Update changes:

- somebody decided at Sony that the sensor in A6000 is noiseless below ISO400, so the noise reduction below ISO400 is too low, resulting in noisier shots at ISO250-400 than at ISO500-1000 - this is true for LOW and Normal High ISO noise reduction levels.

I have seen the same thing with RZ100 / RX100II, but only with Low setting.

It is very anoying, and I pray that somebody will give us a "flatter" noise curve.

- and somebody decided at Sony that the CDAF focus is obtained with the iris wide open, then the iris closes to the selected aperture, this giving a "jump" in the image after the focus confirmation beep and a decreased rate of focussed images in CDAF mode - AF-S and DMF settings, and partially in AF-A setting, due to a kind of focus shift related to iris closing.

So, please, a flatter noise / ISO curve, and CDAF with the closed iris, like with all the other NEX cameras.

With these two changes this camera would really be a good camera.

I am not hoping much from this post, but what can I do.. I try to tell you something, Sony.

16 REPLIES 16
fxfaidy
New

hello. I have others requests for the A6000 : 

-> ViewFinder : Can we set the sensibility of the detector for the viewfinder ? I know we can desactivate the Auto mode to select manualy viewfinder or LCD screen, but i think the sensibility of detector for the viewfinder is too much. I take my camera on my body, screen facing up, like a Rolleiflex, and i must desactivate the auto mode to do it.

However, it's possible to program a custom fonction to select LCD/EVF with a button (like others sony cameras).

-> Liveview : Can we have the possibility to see in the screen (LCD or EVF) a "well-lighted-picture", to do the framing. Exemple : i make with my A6000 studio pictures with professional strobes, black background, chiaroscuro style. So, i'm in manual mode, 1/200s, f8 to f16, ISO100. i take a picture, light is good, but when I would do the framing with my screen, I see nothing (too low light, modeling lamp aren't powerfull than flash lamp). So i can see nothing to make good studio picture. I want to have the setting to force the visualisation on screen with always the good light to do the framing ? We only can view it when we make the AF, but it's too quick to make a good framing 

profile.country.GB.title
clash-city-rocker

The firmware features of the A5100 in the A6000 please.

fxfaidy
New

XAVC-S Codec :wink: yes of course ! 

... but i think nobody can hear us in this place ... :cry:

vsajewel
Explorer

Someone at another forum suggested emailing Sony, so I did, with this email:

I got the Alpha 6000 camera yesterday, and was upset to find it doesn't have SONY's newest codec for XAVC S. 

Since my primary purpose is to use this for travel and video I will return it &  2 extra lenses if this won't be updated. 

I've tested the video for the Alpha 6000 and compared it to video shot on my RX100.   It's only marginally better than the RX100, mainly in low light situations.  The improvement isn't nearly significant enough to justify the cost, when a person owns the RX100 already,   My intent was to upgrade within the Sony product line...but in it's present state the Alpha 6000 isn't an upgrade...it's really just a lateral transfer with a few different features.  

I have a week to decide. Any info you can give me regarding future codecs for the Alpha6000 would be helpful.   If your intent is to not upgrade the firmware I'll probably return it and look more closely at  Panasonic LX100, which I understand has a 4K codec that's amazing!  I'm aware of the 5100 having this codec, but I do not want that camera because it is missing other functions I need.

profile.country.GB.title
dbenyakar
Explorer

I agree with everything you pointed out here.

Sony states in the online help that PDAF stops working when using apetures f13 and above, well I think PDAF stops working after f6.3 and above.

That is from the online help:

"When the aperture value is set to F13 or above, you cannot use the focal plane phase detection AF. Only contrast AF is available."

A nice feature request would be to include custom buttons C1 and C2 in the MR options. So that if I set MR option 1 to be used for manual focusing then to automatically assign C1 for example to be set to Focus Magnifier. Then when switching to MR option 2, the C1 would automatically set to drive mode etc. That would give much more flexibility.

arkid77
Explorer

Just another voice to add support to request for the XAVC S codec to be added to the a6000!

LGstudio
New

There are also some thing that i think would be great to have in the A6000:

- Resolution Less then 6MP (eg. for Time-Lapse photograpgy even those 6MPixels are too huge)
- Smaller Resolution for RAW
- RAW processing application. Quickly editing for the basic stuff  like when opening it in adobe photoshop raw editor.In some extreme conditions it would be handy to check if the image suites to my needs for post-processing.
- as it was weitten before me, more customizable C1 and C2 buttons .. by pressing the button, change more settings to specific values.
- also possibility to remove the NTSC warning when turning on the camera.

Bennybriceno
Explorer

PLEASE SONY!

This is super simple...

Whilst in movie mode, PLEASE allow the shutter release to start and stop video.

There is no reason to make this button worthless while in video mode. Also remote shutter releases could then be used as a start and stop video button.

This is simple, and rediculous to tell me I can't use my shutter release to start and stop video and "only the MOVIE button can be used for this"... WHY???

Thanks,

profile.country.ES.title
_ZeroQ_
Explorer

I bought last week my Sony A6000 to replace my Sony NEX 5N. I'm disapointed to see that other products that share the same Bionz X processor can do Full pixel readout and XAVC-S codec. I'm not an expert but as far as I know the compresion is done in the new Bionz X processor so for the XAVC-S codec may be possible with a new firmware update for the A6000. Maybe for having full pixel readoud out of the CMOS Exmor® APS HD is sensor dependant instead of processor dependant and maybe is not enought with a fimrware upgrade.

After all please Sony take into account your customer feedback to improve the firmware of the Sony A6000 camera with these features XAVC-S and full pixel readout

I have enjoyed very much my old Sony NEX 5N and thas whas the main decision in order to buy the new Sony A6000 instead of other cameras like the Samnsug NX-1 (which have a better video codec, 4K video and full pixel readout). I still have 7 days to change my mind and send back the A6000 camera. What should I do?